[OmniOS-discuss] rpool mirroring alignment problem

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:00:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Dale Ghent <daleg at omniti.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 11, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > # zpool attach -f rpool c4t13d1s0 c4t14d1s0
>> > cannot attach c4t14d1s0 to c4t13d1s0: devices have different sector
>> alignment
>> >
>> > Any ideas? Yes, I am aware of the fact both disks are different in
>> size, but provided I am formatting the 2nd one and copying the disklabel
>> from the smaller one it should be ok, shouldn't it?
>>
>> So let’s look at the two drives you’re trying to work with:
>>
>> WD1600BJKT (c4t13d1, your boot disk)
>> WD2500BPVT (c4t14d1, the mirror you want to add)
>>
>> Looking up those drives (WD Scorpio Blue and Scorpio Black models,
>> respectively) shows that the WD2500BPVT has WD’s “Advanced Format” on it -
>> ie, sector size is larger than the traditional 512n which which what the
>> WD1600BJKT has. The Advanced Format is denoted in the drive model number
>> with the “PVT” suffix.
>>
>> Because of this, zfs will refuse to try to meld the drives together into
>> a mirror. You will need to replace the WD2500BPVT with a WD1600BJKT to
>> match your existing one, or at the least make sure the drive is formatted
>> with 512k sectors and not something larger.
>>

> ok, clear, but the question remains: how do I achieve that (so I do not
> have a  WD1600BJKT, and want to format it with 512k sectors) in omnios? Is
> it possible or do I just need to reinstall (I do have 2 WD2500BPVT disks,
> so that is possible; a pain, but possible).

using parted both disks seem to start at the same place:

# parted /dev/rdsk/c4t13d1p0 unit s print
Model: Generic Ide (ide)
Disk /dev/rdsk/c4t13d1p0: 312581808s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End         Size        Type     File system  Flags
 1      16065s  312576704s  312560640s  primary  solaris      boot

# parted /dev/rdsk/c4t14d1p0 unit s print
Model: Generic Ide (ide)
Disk /dev/rdsk/c4t14d1p0: 488397168s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End         Size        Type     File system  Flags
 1      16065s  488392064s  488376000s  primary  solaris      boot