[OmniOS-discuss] any way to get virtual consoles?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Jun 23 08:45:04 UTC 2014

Mayuresh Kathe writes:
> yes, did it, followed your instructions to the last letter.
>
> no effect.

So I tried it myself, just for you. :-)

I forgot that by default, the hotkey switching is disabled.
Don't ask me why... I think it is stupid.

So, you need to set the SMF property for the hotkeys:

  # svccfg -s vtdaemon setprop options/hotkeys=true

  # svcadm refresh vtdaemon

  # svcadm restart vtdaemon

  # svcprop vtdaemon | grep hotkey

options/hotkeys boolean true

... then use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to login, and:

  # who
  root     pts/1        Jun 23 10:29 (192.168.111.52)
  root     vt/2         Jun 23 10:30
  root     vt/4         Jun 23 10:39
  root     vt/3         Jun 23 10:39
  root     vt/5         Jun 23 10:39

:-)

If you don't want to enter a password every time you switch
virtual consoles, you also need to set the value for "secure"
to "false":

  # svccfg -s vtdaemon setprop options/secure=false

Good luck -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"