[OmniOS-discuss] Help setting up a boot server

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 08:44:52 UTC 2014

Hello, I would appreciate some advice in setting-up a boot server.
This would have OmniOS as the server and a couple of diskless HP thin
clients running Linux as the clients.

The Linux kernel is already configured as a diskless NFS root client
but it is currently loaded from a small partition on the thin client's
flash ROM.  I'd like to move it entirely onto the server.

As I understand it, the server must run a TFTP server and as that
communicates via UDP/IP, a DHCP server is also required.  Presumably
the best thing is to configure the DHCP server to serve a fixed IP
address to the client's MAC address, so that the Linux kernel can also
use DHCP to get the (same) IP address.  Currently, the IP address is
set in the arguments passed to the kernel.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Diskless_nodes#About_Etherboot says that
the served-up client kernel must be prepared with etherboot.

So a few random musings.  Any thoughts ?  Best server-side software ?
where there's a choice.

Thanks, Michael.