[OmniOS-discuss] flock from RHEL7 client to OmniOS

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Jun 29 02:29:53 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:40:06AM -0400, Derek Yarnell wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing a problem with flock over NFS on more recent
> clients including RHEL7 (I am guessing recent fedora releases too)?

Hmm, historically flock was not NFS compatible, you were supposed to use
lockf or fcntl. I don't have an RHEL7 box at the moment, but the man
page for flock(2) on an RHEL6 box says:

       flock()  does not lock files over NFS.  Use fcntl(2) instead: that does
       work over NFS, given a sufficiently  recent  version  of  Linux  and  a
       server which supports locking.