[OmniOS-discuss] How do you configure serial ports on OmniOS?

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Mar 1 01:39:02 UTC 2014

| On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Chris Siebenmann wrote:
| >  This question makes me feel silly but I'm lost in a confusing maze of
| > documentation for sacadm, pmadm, and so on and I can't find anything
| > with web searches. What I would like to do is configure what I believe is
| > /dev/term/c ('ttyS3' in Linux) to run a getty or the OmniOS/Illumos/etc
| > equivalent at 115200 baud.
|
| Seems like there should be a command to change the baud rate.
| I've always just edited the _pmtab file.
|
| disable the port (assuming pmadm -l shows it enabled)
| # pmadm -d -p zsmon -s ttyc

 I should clarify something here: the port isn't listed in pmadm -l at
all (although it exists in /dev/term). I assume that this means that
I need to create it with some arguments; the exact arguments needed to
set things up right (or right enough that I can edit files from there)
are one of the things that I'm lost about.

(The examples I've found of using pmadm to configure things seem to
leave a lot out of magic, and they're often old enough that I'm not
sure if things have changed since then.)

	- cks