[OmniOS-discuss] Debating Swapping 2TB with 4TB drives in RaidZ2 or Create new Vol and clone

Matthew Mabis mmabis at vmware.com
Fri Mar 21 15:46:27 UTC 2014

Hey All,

I am debating the idea of just swapping all my hard drives in my current 8x2TB RaidZ2 (all be it slowly) and let the environment resilver each drive than expand versus creating a new RaidZ2 on a different box and cloning the data over.

Obviously i know of the Pros/Cons/Risks associated with that method. My question about debating deals with the new drives being 4K where as the old drives were 512b aligned My Current config is using (6x Hitachi HDS5C302 and 2x SAMSUNG HD203WI) where i will be switching over to ST4000VN000 drives all the way (purchased 4 already waiting a little time to see if i can purchase via a different batch [some ppl debate on this but to me its the way i have done it for a long time]) i don't wan't to us dissimilar models anymore as sometimes the samsung drives in this config went well lets call it NUTTY....

I use my environment for multiple things (Network Data Backups, NFS Backups for ESXi, Media Storage) my current environment is running down on space and with my projections ill run out of space within the next 6 months (~26% Free that includes the 1.08TB Reservation) so i am prepping for the transition.

Just curious what you would do in my situation, replace the drives or build a new vDev and why?

I have all the underlying hardware to handle it (SAS-2008 Controller, ECC, and a ZIL/SLOG. If needed i could use my infiniband backend to clone the data at 10Gb via IPoIB)

Thanks
Matt