[OmniOS-discuss] Debating Swapping 2TB with 4TB drives in RaidZ2 or Create new Vol and clone

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Mar 25 01:45:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Matthew Mabis wrote:

> Just curious what you would do in my situation, replace the drives or build a new vDev and why?

I would add a new vdev for three reasons:

  1) It is usually best to let sleeping dogs lie.
  2) Takes a whole lot less time.
  3) About twice the total performance.

Drawbacks are:

  1) More cost (but time is money).
  2) More hardware.
  3) More physical space.
  4) More power consumption.
  5) Imbalanced vdevs (in terms of space).

The imbalanced vdevs might be helped by a number of sends/receives to
the same pool but this depends on how the filesystems are organized.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn