[OmniOS-discuss] move dump and swap to other pool

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu May 8 20:34:00 UTC 2014

Unless I'm misremembering, the default blocksize for a zvol is 8k, and the
recommended blocksize for a swap zvol on x86 is 4k, so I usually explicitly
specify the blocksize when creating a swap zvol:

zfs create -b 4k -V <size> pool/swap

Also, in the past there was a bug that could result in a kernel wedge unless
you tweaked the cache settings for a zvol in use for swap:

zfs set primarycache=metadata pool/swap
zfs set secondarycache=none pool/swap

Possibly that has been fixed? But I don't think it hurts either way, so I
still do it.