[OmniOS-discuss] Move rpool from IDE mode to AHCI ?

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Fri May 9 14:28:59 UTC 2014

On 5/9/14 2:27 AM, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson wrote:
> I double checked my BIOS configuration, and it seems that I have
> misconfigured the OS disk into a IDE mode, but not AHCI.
> So when I change the mode to AHCI, I get the GRUB loader and the OmniOS
> logo after that, but suddenly the machines restarts again
> and never boots into the system all the way.
>
> So my question is, is there any way for my to reconfigure my running-system
> to use AHCI instead of IDE,ATA mode ?
>
> Is it enough to boot up a usb live system and issue a "zpool import -f
> rpool", and then finally "zpool export rpool" with a running BIOS-config as
> AHCI
> and then restart the computer and let it boot normally ? I read somewhere
> that the import/export functions would update the device path, but I have
> no experience on this issue.

I needed to do this last year, and the instructions from Richard Elling
were close to what you asked (the same except change the BIOS mode first):

0. change BIOS setting to AHCI
1. boot livecd with shell login
2. import rpool
3. export rpool
4. boot

The only extra complication I found is that if you have pools with cache
devices then you need to remove/add the cache devices to make things
happy, but otherwise this should work.

Hugh.