[OmniOS-discuss] VAAI?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri May 9 15:05:43 UTC 2014

On May 9, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Matthew Mabis <mmabis at vmware.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I was wondering if there is any news on if OmniOS will support VAAI Extensions in the near future at all?

Two of them:  UNMAP and WRITE_SAME, have been in Illumos (and therefore OmniOS) since 2011.  The last two:  XCOPY and ATS, were developed by Nexenta, and were open-sourced as part of their NexentaStor 4 release recently.  These would need to be upstreamed in to illumos proper at some point.

If you're feeling rambunctious, you can see what it takes to extract 'em from https://github.com/Nexenta/illumos-nexenta/ and upstream them into the main illumos-gate.  These were tricky, as COMSTAR isn't the most robust code to begin with, but Nexenta's had real-world experience with all of the VAAI primitives.