[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS 151010 improvements

Dale Ghent daleg at omniti.com
Fri May 9 22:02:34 UTC 2014

On May 9, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Guenther Alka <alka at hfg-gmuend.de> wrote:

> Release 151010 is out
>
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/ReleaseNotes#ReleaseNotes states:
> 	• ZFS performance and reliability improvements, especially with hole-y ZFS sends and receives.
> 	• ZFS bookmarks for easier sending and receiving of ZFS filesystems.
> 	• ZFS CLI improvements
> 	• NFS reliability improvements.
>
> Can anyone publish some details about these 4 improvements

Sure:

> • ZFS performance and reliability improvements, especially with hole-y ZFS sends and receives.

It was discovered that the ZFS driver would steadily slow down ZFS sends and receives of images which contained large stretches of no data (ie, "hole-y”)

Particular culprits (and the one which brought this to our attention) seemed to be images of zvols which host NTFS file systems.

Detailed here: https://www.illumos.org/issues/4369 and in the zfs(1M) man page.

> • ZFS CLI improvements

Details:
https://www.illumos.org/issues/3993