[OmniOS-discuss] zfs diskusage

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu May 15 15:08:59 UTC 2014

On May 15, 2014, at 8:05 AM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> Today we were out of diskspace on one of our pools ... a few removed
> snapshots later all is fine, except that I find that I don't realy
> understand the numbers ... can anyone elighten me?
>
> # zpool list fast
> NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
> fast  4.34T  1.74T  2.61T         -    39%  1.22x  ONLINE  -
>
> # zfs list fast
> NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> fast  2.59T   716G  78.5K  /fast
>
> Why does the 'zpool list' claim that 2.61T is free (61%)
> while 'zfs list' sees 716G free (27%)
>
> I know there is raidz2 and compression so the numbers  don't match
> up, but I don't understand why the ratio is so different between
> the two.

Richard Elling addressed something similar on a different thread:

http://lists.omniti.com/pipermail/omnios-discuss/2014-May/002609.html

You're running raidz2, and that's likely why you're seeing the discrepency between zpool and zfs.

Try Richard's advice of running "zfs list -o space" for the breakdown.