[OmniOS-discuss] where to look for VirtIO drivers? Keen to test OmniOS on OpenStack KVM

Derek Yarnell derek at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue May 20 02:28:54 UTC 2014

On 5/19/14, 10:06 PM, Dan McDonald wrote:

> On May 19, 2014, at 9:59 PM, Piers Dawson-Damer <piers at mm.st> wrote:
>
>> Is anyone aware of Illumos/OmniOS VirtIO disk & nic drivers?
>> I’m keen to test OmniOS on OpenStack KVM
>
> There are none in OmniOS or upstream in illumos-gate, but I believe Nexenta's distro has them, and if someone with time & patience could upstream them to illumos, we'd all benefit.  Start by looking here:
>
> 	https://github.com/Nexenta/illumos-nexenta/tree/master/usr/src/uts/common/io/

Hi,

This I don't think is totally true, VirtIO NIC driver support isn't in
Illumos-gate yet but disk drivers have been in for a bit.

https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/uts/common/io/vioblk/vioblk.c

I have been running r151005 which had them included for awhile now with
no issues to report.  Though they seem to not have been included in any
recent stable OmniOS release (up to r151008, haven't upgraded to 10) so
I don't know why that is.  I haven't needed the network performance as
much as the realtek support seems good enough for this small scale ZFS
NFS fileserver we run using vioblk drivers.

Thanks,
derek

--
Derek T. Yarnell