[OmniOS-discuss] DHCP server of choice for OmniOS?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue May 27 05:18:38 UTC 2014

27 мая 2014 г. 3:44:54 CEST, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> пишет:

>On May 23, 2014, at 3:23 AM, Steffen Kram <sk at kram.io> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I’m using ISC DHCP. It’s not a big deal to build it for Omnios. You
>can as well use my version or my build scripts from
>http://scott.mathematik.uni-ulm.de.
>
>I ended up downloading, compiling, and smoke-testing the latest ISC
>DHCP without any build scripts (sorry Steffen).  Oddly enough, thanks
>to some work from Oracle for S11, ISC DHCP is far more suitable for
>Illumos and OmniOS than even I'd imagined in the first place.  It
>seemed to work okay for my simple smoke test, and if I don't so
>something more substantial in the next week, I'll give it a more
>thorough smoke test when we have company over to my house soon.
>
>Would people be interested in seeing OmniOS ship with ISC DHCP?  Would
>people wish to be rid of the old Sun DHCP server?  (Or are there Sun
>Ray owners out there who use OmniOS to serve them?  IIRC, Sun Rays need
>the old Sun DHCP server.)
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

Actually, sun rays don't *require* a sun dhcp server. The installer can set up and preconfigure one, and you can configure the server via command line instead of changing some config files and restarting.
While sun rays historically have used some 'vendor macros' in dhcp (which isc dhcp can also probably deliver), later versions supported dns as the means of fetching the main information (the config server and the session rendering server), and any complex info could be downloaded from the config/firmware server via tftp, and so only needed the usual ip addressing and dns setup info from dhcp. My access point could serve that, a windows dhcp could... so certainly no hard requirement of sun dhcp for production use.
I guess the command-line configurability was key for smooth integration. Without it, an admin would have to know what/how to set up in dns and dhcp, and how to apply this to their server software of choice - which is not arcane magic and was covered in some blogs and mailing list archives, and even official docs.
So, unless sun dhcp can be coerced into working again with recent illumos-gates, at least the sunray case is not a roadblock to dropping it... workarounds exist, even if a bit inconvenient maybe. Or even not so much - if standard dhcp plus a couple of names in default dns zone suffice, and tftp'ed config files cover the rest adequately.
Hth, Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android