[OmniOS-discuss] Status of TRIM support?

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Wed May 28 14:08:27 UTC 2014

The 840 Pro doesn't have a super cap, but it does properly honor cache
flushes which ZFS will do on a log device.   This drastically reduces it's
write performance and makes it a poor choice for a log device.

Intel has several SATA SSDs with proper super-cap protected caches that
make good log devices.   They are nothing like a ZeusRAM, but will protect
your transactions.

Keep in mind vSphere is a 100% sync write NFS client. If the log device
doesn't perform well, neither will vSphere.

If you trust your backups I would stick to ZIL disabled.   If you want to
do HA, you need to look at an all SAS solution, which is not cheap.

-Chip