[OmniOS-discuss] WDC WD10EZEX problems

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Fri May 30 00:12:09 UTC 2014

On May 29, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz at druber.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, 29 May 2014 20:58:50 +0200
>> Chris Ferebee <cf at ferebee.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Or, BTW, the cables. They could be marginal, still tolerated @ 3 Gbps by
>>> the Seagate, but rejected by the WDs, for instance.
>>>
>> Since all disks are connected through the same SFF-8087 cable I think
>> this could be ruled out?
>
> If it's a forward breakout cable, it's 4 cables at the disk end and one at
> the HBA end, so isn't it possible one of them is flaky?

I hate to be bearer of bad news, but it is much more common that you might
think that one or two in a wide port cable are bad. Sometimes it is the
connector -- they are finicky.

How to troubleshoot:
	sasinfo hba-port -y
		shows negotiated speeds
	sasinfo hba-port -l
		shows link stats as seen by the HBA -- look for disparity errors
	sasinfo -ly
		both of above
	sg_logs -p 0x18 /dev/rdsk/c0tblah
		shows link stats as seen by the target -- look for disparity errors

note: sasinfo is a separate package in OmniOS, not installed by default.
 -- richard