[OmniOS-discuss] Jenkins CI on OmniOS? (NPE)

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Fri Oct 3 14:13:11 UTC 2014

Magnus,
As Theo mentioned on Twitter, Circonus runs Jenkins in a zone on
OmniOS (which reminds me, I need to switch my list subscription...) We
use the Oracle Java JDK for Solaris, which we have in an IPS package,
but you can install it the "traditional" way too by just extracting
the archives into whatever directory you want.

$ getent passwd jenkins
jenkins:x:10098:1:Jenkins CI User:/jenkins:/bin/bash

We put jenkins's home directory on its own ZFS dataset for backup
purposes.  We set its default shell to bash for the reason Dan
mentioned.  Our SMF manifest looks like this:
https://gist.github.com/esproul/2a0f9c9aeab84ba70620

Pretty self-explanatory, but a couple of notes: the net_privaddr
privilege isn't strictly necessary here because we're binding to an
unprivileged port, but it's there for completeness since we set up the
methods in such a way that you could run multiple instances of
Jenkins, some of them perhaps on low-numbered ports.  We use a
non-default process model (startd/duration property) because the
process doesn't daemonize, and we ignore errors because Jenkins can
restart itself for updates and such.  See svc.startd(1M).

Hope this helps,
Eric