[OmniOS-discuss] What do you *actually* want when you want to build illumos-gate?

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Oct 10 20:24:54 UTC 2014

Pardon the long subject line.

Some people have asked, "Why can't I build illumos-gate on OmniOS?"  It's a legitimate question, and I'm in the middle of an attempt to say, "Well, now you can."

As I'm doing this, however, I want to make sure expectations for you (and for me) are properly set.  So my subject-line question stands.  Are you interested because:

	- I want to make sure my changes compile cleanly.

	- I want to make sure my changes lint cleanly.

	- I want to generate replacement binaries (e.g. /kernel/drv/amd64/e1000g).

	- I want to generate packages to ONU on my OmniOS box.

	- More?

I can answer now with my take on the above.

- I want to make sure my changes compile.
I believe I have this working now.  It will require some .env file hacking on an OmniOS build box, but I will include a sample when I upstream.

- I want to make sure my changes lint cleanly.
Not yet, but there's a set of changes ALREADY in OmniOS (like the already in use java ones for this project) that may need to show up in illumos-gate as well.

- I want to generate replacement binaries.
You should be able to do this.  And if you build small (per http://kebesays.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-illumos-newbies-on-developing-small.html), you probably already could more a good chunk of binaries.

- I want to generate packages to ONU on my OmniOS box.
This will be REALLY hard. If you really want to do this, I'd just use illumos-omnios.

- More?
I'm all ears for now.

Before I go any further along, I want to make sure I'm solving people's problems, or that they are, indeed, solvable.

Thanks,