[OmniOS-discuss] What do you *actually* want when you want to build illumos-gate?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Oct 11 00:15:28 UTC 2014

I'd say my main goal would be to do upstream illumos development without
having to have an OI box around :). I've upstreamed a couple of things based
on illumos-omnios, but as you need a bloody omnios box to compile bloody
illumos-omnios, that's a bit problematic. I don't really want an unstable
development box :). Ideally I'd like to be able to work on upstream
illumos-gate code on a stable omnios box. So that would definitely include
the first two line items, as well as whatever else is required for an RTI
submission.

At least for me, for replacement binaries, I'd probably just use stable
illumos-omnios and backport whatever new bits I think I need. Depending on
the divergence between stable omnios and upstream illumos-gate, and what
piece you're playing with (particularly kernel bits?), pulling something out
of upstream and trying to shove it in stable sounds potentially unstable ;).

Thanks.