[OmniOS-discuss] Zpool fail to import after a system crash and reinstall

Angel Angelov a.angelov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:06:35 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have experienced yesterday the issue tracked under illumos gate:
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1778

After a system crash(zfs and zpool were unresponsive and sleeping when
looking with truss) I needed to reboot the system which triggered it to go
into system maintenance mode where I couldn't fix it and make it boot
properly.
Anyway that's not the issue I am reporting. Since after no success in few
hours I have decided to re-install a LTS(it's what was installed so...)
from scratch and import the zpool so I'd be able to send the data over to
another box.
Re-install finished and when tried importing the zpool I had:

Assertion failed: rn->rn_nozpool == B_FALSE, file
../common/libzfs_import.c, line 1080, function zpool_open_func
Abort (core dumped)

The above was tested with current LTS and current Stable releases with no
success.

I have tried work around with re-creating the drive devices but it didn't
helped.

# mv /dev/rdsk /dev/old-rdsk
# mv /dev/dsk /dev/old-dsk
# mkdir /dev/dsk /dev/rdsk
# devfsadm -c disk

So after a few more hours of fighting with it I have actually managed to
workaround it with installing Linux and ZFS where importing the zpool
worked like a charm.
I was then able to send the data over to another box(illumos) without any
issues.

So another successful night after a crash but still :)

Thanks,
A.A.