[OmniOS-discuss] switching from Stable to LTS

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Oct 24 21:13:50 UTC 2014

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 4:56 PM, Michael Mounteney <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 01:11:31 +0200
> Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:
>
>> I think the generel consensus is that unless you are very very very
>> knowledgeable in the darkest corners of Illumos, having patience above
>> and beyond the call of duty, have loads of spare time, and only have a
>> server populated with data of absolut nonsense you should never even
>> think of downgrading your server(s).
>
> OK but let's say despite all the warnings I were going to try anyway.
> Would it be possible to set up a LTS non-global zone on a machine on
> which Stable is installed?

No.

The only way to even come close to approaching that would be to run a KVM zone, and put OmniOS LTS in that.  There are also pitfalls in doing so (similar to the pitfalls of running TCP over TCP... in this case, running ZFS volumes that will become proper ZFS filesystems).

You do realize that the next stable OmniOS is also going to be the next LTS release, right?  If you can manage until springtime, there will be a new LTS release, and I suspect much of omniti-ms will be appropriately updated.