[OmniOS-discuss] Compiling GNUCOBOL : pre-requisites present?

Mayuresh Kathe mayuresh at kathe.in
Mon Oct 27 16:03:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:44:18AM -0400, Ryan Zezeski wrote:

> > On Oct 27, 2014, at 9:13 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:
> >
> > GNU MP (libgmp) 4.1.2 or later
> > GNU Libtool (libltdl)
> > Berkeley DB (libdb) 1.85 or later
> > Ncurses (ncurses) 5.2 or later
> > Unix curses
> >

> From what I can tell, there are packages for all of these on the base system except for BDB.  For BDB it looks like you'll need to add the ms.omniti.com publisher.
>
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Packaging
>
> Keep in mind that the OmniOS folk encourage you to build your own application stack so that you can own it and tailor it to your specific needs.  Because of this philosophy they keep the base system as thin as possible.
>
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/KYSTY

Thanks Ryan, will look into the ms.omniti.com publisher adding process.

Yes, I am aware of the OmniOS philosophy, that's why I love the work
they are doing. :)

BTW, if I do end up getting GNUCOBOL to work and work well, I would have
saved a rural community in India a lot of money by preventing them from
going for an IBM zSeries system.
Most of the functionality already seems available with Illumos based
systems.

Thanks again for the tip. :)

~Mayuresh