[OmniOS-discuss] Cannot boot after update - failed to open /platform

Svavar Örn Eysteinsson svavar at pipar-tbwa.is
Thu Oct 30 18:39:19 UTC 2014

Hello List.

I recently updated my OmniOS hp Microserver from r151010 to r151012.
Well, it didn't work. As I rebooted my server and then it shows me the following error message :

krtld: failed to open '/platform###'
krtld: bind_primary(): no relocation information found for module /platform##
krtld: error during initial load/link phase

krtld could neither locate nor resolve symbols for:

/platform###
in the boot archive. Please verify that this file matches what is found in the boot archive
You may need to boot using the solaris failsafe to fix this.
Unable to Boot.
Press any key to reboot.

### = means strange ASCII character.

No matter what boot environment I choose I allways get the same error.

I have also mounted some of the BE in my USB live version of OmniOS R151012
and updated the boot-archive with these commands :

zpool import -f rpool
beadm mount some_be /a
rm /a/platform/i86pc/boot_archive
rm /a/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive
touch /a/etc/system
bootadm update-archive -v -R /a
zpool export -f rpool
init 6

And try to boot the BE in the next reboot.
Still no go, I allways get this error message.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on ?
Any help and or information much appreciated.

Thanks allot.

Best regards,

Svavar O
Reykjavik