[OmniOS-discuss] Best infrastructure for VSphere/Hyper-V

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Thu Apr 2 17:35:01 UTC 2015

On Apr 2, 2015 11:50 AM, "Nate Smith" <nsmith at careyweb.com> wrote:

> So going over the forum over the last month, it appears more than a
couple people have had problem with Omnios as a storage backend for
virtualization platforms, both as iSCSI targets and as Fibre Channel
targets. Looking at a list of possible alternatives, what infrastructure
works well?

> Is it limited to NFS on VSphere, or is there some way I can get this
working with Hyper-V (which would be vastly preferable due to licensing
advantages for me)?

I run OmniOS with NFS for vSphere.  It works very good.

One bit of disclosure all my VM storage is SSD, however ZFS with
compression makes SSD goes a lot further.  I also use linked clones using
the vsphere api.

I have 250 VMS running on 5 TB of SSD.  Performance is awesome for every VM.

-Chip