[OmniOS-discuss] Fwd: All SSD pool advice

Nate Smith nsmith at careyweb.com
Sat Apr 4 22:47:42 UTC 2015

You also have to consider your use cases: High read low write environments, versus mixed loads, versus high write environments. SSD vendors are designing enterprise drives with those use cases in mind. High read environments will not have nearly the write endurance. (Intel S3500s seem designed for low write endurance environments). And yes, as Gea said, you need to have built in capacitors in enterprise SSDs for power protection.

Agree with Gea on the Intel S3500 and S3700 series. They´re good, but the write endurance is much lower on S3500. I´ve been using the Samsung datacenter series because of the price.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/flash-ssd/overview

Also, no SAS expanders and SATA are a no-no. SAS SSDs are much more expensive and harder to find. There are decently priced enterprise level SATA SSDs. Plan your infrastructure accordingly.

-Nate