[OmniOS-discuss] IPS "group/feature" packages in 014: What to do with them?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Apr 6 18:26:08 UTC 2015

Hi Dan!

[I guess you don't receive my mails so I am CC'ing the list.]

I see that you have included some "feature" IPS packages in 014:

  # pkg list -avf group/feature/\*
  FMRI                                                                         IFO
  pkg://omnios/group/feature/amp@0.5.11-0.151014:20150402T184306Z              ---
  pkg://omnios/group/feature/developer-gnu@0.5.11-0.151014:20150402T184306Z    ---
  pkg://omnios/group/feature/multi-user-desktop@0.5.11-0.151014:20150402T184307Z ---

But they are obviously not in synch with the rest of the packages in
the 014 repo. (There will not be a "multi-user-desktop" feature soon,
I'd wager ;-).

But some of them could be useful.  Take "feature/developer-gnu".  It
would be nice to just install it and have a working environment with
the "Gnu tools".  However, it's just an upstream copy which does not
map well to the OmniOS versions of the various packages:

  # pkg contents -rt depend -Ho fmri group/feature/developer-gnu
  developer/build/autoconf
  developer/build/automake-110
  developer/build/automake-111
  developer/build/automake-19
  developer/build/gnu-make
  developer/build/libtool
  developer/build/make
  developer/debug/gdb
  developer/gcc-47
  developer/gnu-binutils
  developer/lexer/flex
  developer/macro/gnu-m4
  developer/parser/bison
  developer/versioning/cvs
  developer/versioning/git
  developer/versioning/mercurial
  developer/versioning/subversion
  system/header
  system/library/gcc-4-runtime

Most of these packages do exist in the 014 repo but some have slightly
different names and/or versions.  An easy fix would be to just change
the depends to

  developer/build/autoconf
  developer/build/automake
  developer/build/gnu-make
  developer/build/libtool
  developer/build/make
  developer/gcc48
  developer/gnu-binutils
  developer/lexer/flex
  developer/macro/gnu-m4
  developer/parser/bison
  developer/versioning/git
  developer/versioning/mercurial
  developer/versioning/subversion
  system/header
  system/library/gcc-4-runtime

Missing are gdb, cvs, and subversion, if we don't include the pkgs on
ms.omniti.com.  Maybe gdb and SVN could even be brought over into 014
proper. :-)

A similar change could be done for "group/feature/amp".

So what are your plans with feature pkgs?

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"