[OmniOS-discuss] esxi 5.5 to omnios r151014 nfs server issue

Schweiss, Chip chip at innovates.com
Mon Apr 6 23:24:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 6, 2015, at 5:50 AM, Hafiz Rafiyev <rafibeyli at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > only log I see from omnios side is:
> >
> > nfs4cbd[468]: [ID 867284 daemon.notice] nfsv4 cannot determine local
> hostname binding for transport tcp6 - delegations will not be available on
> this transport
>
> Are you having DNS problems?
>
> This error is in an unchanged subsystem, the NFSv4 callback daemon.  The
> error looks like something caused by a naming-services failure.

I'd say this is a red-herring.  ESXi 5.5 will only use NFSv3.  However, DNS
resolution is critical for ESXi NFS mounts even when mounting via IP
address.

I always put host entries in /etc/hosts on each ESXi host for all other
hosts, vCenter and NFS servers.   The same on the NFS server side.  I
learned this years ago on a 3 AM call to VMware support. :)

-Chip