[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS as web server: what good/best practices to follow?

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Wed Apr 8 14:53:29 UTC 2015

My take to summarize the two choices:

1) use a NGZ in its on pool and you have complete isolation and you can
move it from machine to machine as needed. More setup required, but doable.
2) use a pre-packaged apache or nginx that installs all of the read-only
stuff in your regular root pool (this should be fine). You have to keep a
small set of files in thie configuration under revision control, and they
are the configuration files that describe your instances. You then define
your DocumentRoot with all of the important stuff to be in your non-root
zpool.

(You can use the pre-packaged apache in either configuration, but you may
achieve slightly better isolation with the NGZ if that is valuable. But,
putting apache config files under revision control has been done for years
and is pretty standard way to accomplish the same thing)