[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS as web server: what good/best practices to follow?

Andy Fiddaman omnios at citrus-it.net
Wed Apr 8 14:54:09 UTC 2015

On Wed, 8 Apr 2015, Davide Poletto wrote:

; Hello list,
;
; I'm planning to use OmniOS 151014 as base OS for a Web Server in order to
; deploy a little "Intranet-in-a-Box" project based on a Drupal 7
; distribution called "Open Atrium 2" (other required mandatory components
; are PHP and MySQL).

I run web servers on OmniOS using Apache 2.2 in NGZs - no problems*.
I package apache for /opt/apache with the configuration files in
/etc/opt/apache (--prefix=/opt/apache --sysconfdir=/etc/opt/apache) which
puts both in the BE. I have mixed feelings about that but as long as you
are aware of the implications it isn't a problem either way.

The data is on a separate delegated ZFS data-set outside of the BE and
mounted elsewhere and I set exec=off, setuid=off, devices=off for that.
Apache is configured to write log files to the same data-set.

Andy

* - I did see performance issues the last time I tried Apache 2.4 but
    haven't had the time to go back and investigate.

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)870 199 8000 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123