[OmniOS-discuss] [smartos-discuss] kvm network performance survey

John Barfield john.barfield at bissinc.com
Mon Apr 13 16:25:42 UTC 2015

I can confirm that I’ve seen the same behaviors.

I’ll try to pull some numbers but the truth is that debian based guest
versions perform WAY better than CentOS guests.

From all of my testing IMHO it is the host (illumos) virtio
implementation.

I only say this because I see such drastic performance results between
different guest virtio driver version on illumos hosts that I do not see
on Linux hosts.

I can also confirm that I did not see this issue on SmartOS and I did
test, Widows, Centos, And Ubuntu and was able to achieve near wire speed
guest-2-guest on different SmartOS hosts.

Here is my original thread posted about this in march:
http://lists.omniti.com/pipermail/omnios-discuss/2015-March/004539.html

John Barfield / Sr Principal Engineer
+1 (214) 425-0783/ john.barfield at bissinc.com
BISS, Inc. Office: +1 (214) 506-8354

4925 Greenville Ave Suite 900
Dallas, TX 75206
support.bissinc.com <http://htmlsig.com/support.bissinc.com>
This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the
taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is prohibited.
E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they
can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates
with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted these risks. Company Name is
not responsible for errors or omissions in this message and denies any
responsibility for any damage arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion
and other statement contained in this message and any attachment are
company.