[OmniOS-discuss] [smartos-discuss] kvm network performance survey

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Apr 13 16:48:44 UTC 2015

Michael,

Today Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:25:42 +0000
> John Barfield <john.barfield at bissinc.com> wrote:
>

> > I?ll try to pull some numbers but the truth is that debian based guest
> > versions perform WAY better than CentOS guests.
> >
> Are the kernels identical in Debian and CentOS?

We don't have measurements from Centos in the list yet, but various
ubuntu versions and kernels, and you can see there that between
different kernel versions, there can well be a factor of 2 or 3 in
performance ... that is also interesting ...

   http://goo.gl/Vr1tC6

BUT what worries me, is that between omnios r10 and r14 (r12
actually) there is a factor of 1000 or more !!!

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902