[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS 151014: questions about locale settings and vi editing command's issues.

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Apr 16 21:02:25 UTC 2015

One thing to note is that under OmniOS, vim defaults to compatible mode, as opposed to linux, where it generally does not. When running in compatible mode, a lot of the nifty vim features and abilities you are used to don't work 8-/. To disable compatible mode, all you need to do is create a ~/.vimrc (even if empty) or turn it off explicitly in the global configuration file (see ":help compatible" for details).

> those commands like ESC+a to insert or ESC+Shift+: to go to vi's prompt for
> saving, quitting, etc.)?

I don't believe I've ever seen "ESC+a" listed as a specific vi command. ESC, if you are in edit mode, returns you to command mode. If you are in command mode, it is a noop AFAIK. 'a' is actually "append", not "insert", which is 'i'. ':' if you are in command mode pops up the prompt, you only need to hit ESC first if you are in edit mode and need to switch to command mode, although if you are already in command mode it doesn't hurt to hit again.