[OmniOS-discuss] omnios zone experiences on openindiana

PÁSZTOR György pasztor at sagv5.gyakg.u-szeged.hu
Sat Apr 18 19:09:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

I do not remember, where I discussed about this topic earlier, but I just
wanted to tell a success-story:
I had a "playground" omnios-blody (151013) in a VirtualBox.
I upgraded it to the current 151014 LTS.
Then I created a zone into it to have a template.
Then I migrated this zone to my home nas, which run OpenIndiana 151a9.

Everything succeed, but I had some slap on my face to learn things:)

So, I thought I share those experiences:
At First time I forget to detach the zone. Docs says, you do not have to.
But you suck much more if you don't so, detach the zone! ;-)
Usual google findings about this topic is original sun/oracle docs, where
zfs send has a -rc options.
I used -R option. I did not have a sunsol11 playground in the near.

And at the attach phase. You will suck!
But, one thing which may help:
http://everycity.co.uk/alasdair/2011/10/fixing-no-active-dataset-on-zone-attach/

That script helps you to setting zfs property after the migration.
After running that script you can mount the ROOT/zbe by hand, as Alisdair
writes, and the attach... almost work.
I made a mistake, tried the attach with -u, which also exists on oracle/sun
docs, but not on the illumos branch, so my openindiana added their own
publishers to my zone.
So, I attached again, but now with the -n option, which eliminates the
checkings.
Then I could boot the zone. I fixed the publishers.
Then I could clone the zone, so now I can have omnios 151014 lts zones on
my openindiana nas.
(And I could eliminate also eliminate one virtualbox linux machine, since a
native illumos based system is much-much efficient and using fstype=lofs
instead of nfs, and an os-level virtualization instead of machine
virtualization, etc.)

Kind regards,
György Pásztor