[OmniOS-discuss] Bug in pkg/server on OmniOS when the publisher name contains a dash

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Apr 20 17:11:34 UTC 2015

Hello all!

This is paraphrased from a mail that I had sent to Dan privately on
March 31st.  Unfortunately, the problem still persists in 151014.

There seems to be a bug in the IPS version that comes with OmniOS.  If
there is a dash in the publisher name and the repo is accessed via http,
it breaks:

  omnitest# pkg set-publisher -g http://omnios-server:12345/ my-pub
  pkg set-publisher: Could not refresh the catalog for my-pub

  http protocol error: code: 400 reason: Bad Request

It does not matter if the client is OmniOS or Solaris 11.2, it always
breaks.

If I run that same command against a Solaris 11.2 server with an
identical repository, it works.  If I use the identical repo locally,
it works.   If I mount the repository via NFS from an OmniOS server,
it works.  All combinations work, except the one I want:  The repo
served from an OmniOS box via http. :-(

The SMF service itself runs fine, no maintenance mode, no error messages,
nothing.  It is only when I try to set the publisher on the client,
and the client wants to retrieve the catalog, I get the above error.

When I researched this bug before I found a reference to it somewhere,
saying that it is a bug in cherrypy, but I can't find that reference
again, now that I look for it.

The Solaris 11.2 SRU8 /usr/bin/pkg has CLIENT_API_VERSION = 79, whereas
the OmniOS /usr/bin/pkg is at CLIENT_API_VERSION = 75.  So my guess is
that the bug was fixed upstream somewhere between the pkg version
shipped with OmniOS 151014 and the one shipped S11.2 SRU 8.

Has anyone seen this problem before?  Or does anyone have an OmniOS
system successfully serving IPS packages with a dash in the publisher
name?  Any and all info gratefully accepted!  It is entirely possible
that I am doing something wrong, but I don't really know where to look.

Thanks -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"