[OmniOS-discuss] What do people use for basic system monitoring?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Wed Apr 22 02:38:32 UTC 2015

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 2:41 PM, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus at omniti.com> wrote:
>
> Given that several of the original core OmniOS team work for Circonus, I'd say the answer from this side would be pretty biased.
>
> Collectd works okay, but certainly isn't my preference as the polling interval can't easily modified on-demand during troubleshooting.

We've done a bunch of work on collectd collectors. It has the benefit of being lightweight and
low-impact, but isn't as inherently flexible as nad. https://github.com/Coraid/coraid-collectd <https://github.com/Coraid/coraid-collectd>

> We use nad everywhere: https://github.com/circonus-labs/nad <https://github.com/circonus-labs/nad>  It exposes systems telemetry in JSON over HTTP and has some really nice features like exposing histograms of syscall latencies and/or disk I/O latencies allowing you to track the latency of every individual I/O against every spindle -- nice for understanding workload changes and disk behavior issues.
>
> As it is JSON data, it should trivial to pump it into just about any metrics systems... Circonus is free for up to 500 metrics:
>
> http://www.circonus.com/free-account/ <http://www.circonus.com/free-account/>
>

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu <mailto:cks at cs.toronto.edu>> wrote:
>  Out of curiosity: I suspect that plenty of people are gathering basic
> system activity stats for their OmniOS systems and pushing them into
> modern metrics systems such as graphite (to pick perhaps the most well
> known package for this). For those that are doing this, what is your
> preferred collection agent?

graphite is at the end of its life, though we can still feed it from collectd.
There are many things I like about Circonus, but for various reasons we've
been going with influxdb as an interesting target.

> (My ideal collection agent would be able to gather stats for ZFS,
> network and disk IO, and general kernel stats analogous to vmstat
> and mpstat.)

The upstream (collectd.org <http://collectd.org/>) collectd collectors are pretty generic and lowest-common
denominator. To get details like mpstat/vmstat we added new collectors, see above link.
 -- richard