[OmniOS-discuss] What should we look at in a memory exhaustion situation?

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Tue Apr 28 19:08:09 UTC 2015

I've seen something similar to this in Solaris10 (that Oracle won't fix).
It was diganosed as basically 'storage is too slow to service requests.
Throw more hardware at it.". What happens is that nfs buffers just keep
building up and building up (even if it's a read request storm) and the I/O
system can't keep up with the request rate and eventually the system goes
into panic/desperation swapping and then becomes totally unresponsive.

You could verify if the same thing is happening by watching something like
vmstat 3. Once memory starts to get around 3MB free, paging stats will
climb (if it's the same issue) until numbers start showing up in 'de', and
then you're dead.

Anyway, it's plausible that the same thing would be possible. You could
watch out for it and see if you see something similar.