[OmniOS-discuss] supermicro A1SRM-2558F

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Aug 2 11:32:39 UTC 2015

1 августа 2015 г. 22:16:16 CEST, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> пишет:
>On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 15:54:59 -0400
>"Ottmar Klaas" <ottmarklaas at countermail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been running OmniOS on the A1SRM-2758F-O since February. No
>complaints, runs nicely.
>>
>But is 90€ more worth the money for extra 4 cores?
>
>I wonder how much more load is acquired to see a difference between 4
>and 8 cores?

Umm, roughly twice as many independent tasks, assuming you can saturate your 4 cores? Think compile farms, mail relays with antispam, webservers, databases with parallelisable queries, zfs with compression, VMs, etc. Simply many background processes (dormant zones and services) can require a bit of overhead in context switching (and at a few thousand processes per core this can become a fulltime job of its own); the more cores you have - the smaller hit you get per each.

Even if you do not have such loads running fullthrottle all the time, it is possible that the moment you do - more cores can help reach your goals faster in wallclock time.
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android