[OmniOS-discuss] upgrade to 151014

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Aug 7 21:54:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> Would enabling large blocks and bumping the record size to 1M improve
> the efficiency or performance of a filesystem with large files like
> this? Would there be any negative consequences for the small files it
> also contains? Based on the originating bug 5027 it would only really be

With the large blocks, it is necessary to wait for the whole large
block to be read each time a fresh block is read.  This adds latency.
The ARC would do caching in units of the large blocks.

The zfs read-ahead algorithm is based on reading zfs blocks and the
large blocks will slow the acceleration rate (and tuning/resolution)
of the read-ahead algorithm (but would have an intial head-start).

If the small files are smaller than 1MB or compression is
enabled, then it seems like there should not be much impact for small
files.

Be aware that copy-on-write is in units of zfs blocks and so 1MB leads
to very large copy-on-write operations.  This could harm performance
if files are updated in place.

The 1MB blocks are interesting to experiment with but I would not use
them without observing positive impact in real usage.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn