[OmniOS-discuss] dell 730xd with md3060e jbod

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Thu Aug 13 19:11:29 UTC 2015

> On Aug 13, 2015, at 8:47 AM, Randy S <sim.ple at live.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> A while ago I had a moment to test a 730XD with a md3060e jbod.
> I have read the other threads  regarding the 730 usability.
> I had no problems with it using omnios R12. However the use  of the JBOD did raise an issue regarding blinking disk leds.
>
> I noticed that the signals send with sas2ircu were not doing their job (nothing blinks). After some calls to dell technicians, I heard
> that dell has disabled these signals in their firmware and only allows signalling through their own tool, which only works with windows
> and some linux flavours.
>
> At that time I hear about santools which "might propably" be used for this blinking functionality (and more), but you have to buy it to test it.
> Bit expensive for a test.
>
> After this long intro, my question is:
> Does anybody know of a another way (script, tools etc)  to get this blinking functionality going in this hardware combination (ofcourse NOT using dd) ?

Try fmtopo first. There are 3 indicators defined: fail, ident, ok2rm. Many SES vendors
only implement fail and ident. Here an example:

/usr/lib/fm/fmd/fmtopo -P facility.mode=uint32:1 hc://:chassis-mfg=XYZ:chassis-name=XYZ-ABC:chassis-part=unknown:chassis-serial=500093d0016cc76/ses-enclosure=0/bay=1?indicator=fail

to de-assert the indicator, facility.mode=uint32:0

to find the FMRI string, use fmtopo to observe what your hardware reports.
 -- richard