[OmniOS-discuss] High Availability storage with ZFS

Vincenzo Pii piiv at zhaw.ch
Tue Jan 6 12:54:29 UTC 2015

>  Hi
>

> as few guys before, I'm thinking again about High Availability storage
> with ZFS. I know, that there is great commercial RSF-1, but that's quite
> expensive for my needs.
>
> I know, that Sašo did a great job about that on his blog
> http://zfs-create.blogspot.cz but I never found the way, how to
> successfully configure that on current OmniOS versions.
>

> So I'm thinking about something more simple. Arrange two LUNs from two
> OmniOS ZFS storages in one software mirror through fibrechannel. Arrange
> that mirror in client, for example mdadm in Linux. I know, that it will
> have performance affect and I will lost some ZFS advantages, but I still
> can use snapshots, backups with send/receive and some other interesting ZFS
> things, so it could be usable for some projects.
>
> Is there anyone, who tried that before? Any eperience with that?
>

> Thank you,
>

> Filip Marvan

Hi Filip,

I am not directly answering your question, but I've gone through the
configuration of HA (with pacemaker) on OmniOS in the past months and
collected all my notes here:
http://blog.zhaw.ch/icclab/use-pacemaker-and-corosync-on-illumos-omnios-to-run-a-ha-activepassive-cluster/,
maybe it can be useful for you.

In my experience, running pacemaker correctly on OmniOS is just the tip of
the iceberg, then comes the implementation/configuration of the resource
agents (and the cluster itself!).
If this way is worth it, rather than a quicker and more custom solution,
depends on the long term plans :).

Best regards,
Vincenzo.

--