[OmniOS-discuss] Slow NFS speeds at rsize > 128k

Stephan Budach stephan.budach at JVM.DE
Wed Jan 7 10:28:08 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I am sharing my zfs via NFS to a couple of OVM nodes. I noticed really
bad NFS read performance, when rsize goes beyond 128k, whereas the
performance is just fine at 32k. The issue is, that the ovs-agent, which
is performing the actual mount, doesn't accept or pass any NFS mount
options to the NFS server. To give some numbers, a rsize of 1mb results
in a read throughput of approx. 2Mb/s, whereas a rsize of 32k gives me
110Mb/s. Mounting a NFS export from a OEL 6u4 box has no issues with
this, as the read speeds from this export are 108+MB/s regardles of the
rsize of the NFS mount.

The OmniOS box is currently connected to a 10GbE port at our core 6509,
but the NFS client is connected through a 1GbE port only. MTU is at 1500
and can currently not be upped.
Anyone having a tip, why a rsize of 64k+ will result in such a
performance drop?

Thanks,
budy