[OmniOS-discuss] iostat skip first output

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Sun Jan 25 00:02:57 UTC 2015

> On Jan 24, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Rune Tipsmark <rt at steait.net> wrote:
>
> hi all, I am just writing some scripts to gather performance data from iostat... or at least trying... I would like to completely skip the first output since boot from iostat output and just get right to the period I specified with the data current from that period. Is this possible at all?

iostat -xn 10 2 | awk '$1 == "extended" && NR > 2 {show=1} show == 1'

NB, this is just a derivative of a sample period. A better approach is to store
long-term trends in a database intended for such use. If that is too much work,
then you should consider storing the raw data that iostat uses for this:
kstat -p 'sd::/sd[0-9]+$/'

or in JSON:
kstat -jp 'sd::/sd[0-9]+$/'

insert shameless plug for Circonus here :-)
 -- richard