[OmniOS-discuss] PERL Modules in PKG

Eric Sproul eric.sproul at circonus.com
Wed Jan 28 15:44:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
> Alex McWhirter writes:
> [...]
>> Or would it be best
>> to compile these perl modules into IP packages and set them as
>> dependencies?
>
> Yes.  If you do this more often you might want to script this.

Personally I prefer native packages for everything, but those
well-versed in CPAN can probably safely script things.  Sometimes
older module versions get archived and so disappear from CPAN mirrors,
and you have to be smart and find them on the BackPAN...

If you're thinking of going the package route, have a look at
https://github.com/omniti-labs/omnios-build-perl which is an
adaptation of the OmniOS build system that packages CPAN modules.  The
commitment stance for these is the same as for ms.omniti.com-- the
specific modules and versions exist to support OmniTI's internal
operations, but are open to the community to use if desired.
Additions and changes may or may not be accepted.

Eric