[OmniOS-discuss] NFS v3 locking broken in latest OmniOS r151012 and updates

Joe Little jmlittle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:49:42 UTC 2015

I recently switched one file server from Nexenta 4 Community (still uses
closed NLM I believe) to OmniOS r151012.

Immediately, users started to complain from various Linux clients that
locking was failing. Most of those clients explicitly set their NFS version
to 3. I finally isolated that the locking does not fail on NFS v4 and have
worked on transition where possible. But presently, no NFS v3 client and
successfully lock against OmniOS NFS v3 locking service. I've confirmed
that the locking service is running and is present using rpcinfo, matching
one for one in services from previous OpenSolaris and Illumos variants. One
example from a user:

$ strace /bin/tcsh

[...]

open("/home/REDACTED/.history", O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0600) = 0

dup(0)                                  = 1

dup(1)                                  = 2

dup(2)                                  = 3

dup(3)                                  = 4

dup(4)                                  = 5

dup(5)                                  = 6

close(5)                                = 0

close(4)                                = 0

close(3)                                = 0

close(2)                                = 0

close(1)                                = 0

close(0)                                = 0

fcntl(6, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)           = 0

fcntl(6, F_SETLKW, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0})

HERE fcntl hangs for 1-2 min and finally returns with "-1 ENOLCK (No

locks available)"