[OmniOS-discuss] Hello bloody folks! Check out preliminary gcc5.1 support

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Jun 5 19:46:28 UTC 2015

Please point your code-review eyes and browser tabs here:

	http://kebe.com/~danmcd/webrevs/oob-gcc51/

It's a LARGE series of changes (8 distinct commits at the moment, over 56 files) that I'm confirming now all build gcc5.1 in lieu of gcc4.8 for non-illumos bits of OmniOS.

Moving compilers is a tedious, multi-step process.  I *hope* to document it all, but it's very difficult, with lots of stops-and-starts.  It's made worse by the property that the OmniOS build system assumes you've done these steps, and *installed* the built system (build with hacked up build.sh files that aren't initially dependent on certain packages).

Nonetheless, I'm now making decent forward progress.  I hope to have a bloody update with gcc48 swapped out for gcc51, AND having it all work as well.

Any code-minded people in the community should have a look at the above webrev, and tell me what you think. Unlike the last compiler change done for r151008, this is a jump from 4 to 5, so "g{cc,++}-N-runtime" has a new value of N, namely 5.  The prior versions of gcc runtime are in place (.so.6.0.XX), but the package name has been changed.  I've use the "renamed" attribute for gcc/++-4-runtime to aid in this regard.

Finally -- I'll have highly variable response latency for the next 10 days or so. I won't be updating the bloody repo until I'm comfortable with the changes, so don't be alarmed I'm disappearing after having altered something.  Thanks for your patience.

Thanks!