[OmniOS-discuss] Zpool export while resilvering?

Dave Pooser dave-oo at pooserville.com
Tue Jun 9 18:31:38 UTC 2015

>This is probably a silly question, but I¹ve honestly never tried this and
>don¹t have a test machine handy at the moment ­ can a pool be safely
>exported and re-imported later if it is currently resilvering?
>
>In the way of a bit of background, I have a pool made up with thirty or
>so 4TB Seagate disks with a firmware issue that results in their max temp
>being set at 40C as opposed to 60C. This particular pool is
> in an office building in Texas, in an air-conditioned server room. The
>condenser for this unit is in the building¹s plenum and when the building
>a/c goes off over weekends in the summer my server room a/c struggles and
>temps run up to about 85F or so. This
> is causing my pool to drop random disks lately (fmadm reports high temp
>and they get marked as removed from the pool), and I¹ve only just
>narrowed it down to this firmware issue. Seagate firmware update utility
>is apparently Windows only, so the disks must
> come out for the firmware update, but the pool is resilvering several
>disks with days remaining, hence my original query.

Not an answer to your question, but the approach I'd take is renting a
portable 110V or 220V A/C unit from somebody like spot-coolers.com to get
you through the resilver, then apply the firmware update. (And then I'd
start trying to convince management that it's worth adding a unit
permanently -- our Office Pro 24 24000BTU/hr cost us under $4k back in
2011.)
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com