[OmniOS-discuss] port 10926

Graham Stephens graham at thestephensdomain.com
Thu Jun 11 18:32:59 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 18:08, Dan McDonald wrote:

>> On Jun 11, 2015, at 12:00 PM, Graham Stephens <graham at thestephensdomain.com> wrote:
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> Is there something in OmniOS that 'phones home' occasionally?
>>
>> I happened to be looking at my ISP hub and noticed I had 59 attempts incoming to contact port 10926 from a Maryland U address. As I haven't had my OmniOS box on yet today, I was a bit surprised.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this?
>>

> Eric already covered the nothing-phones-home case.
>
> When you turn on your OmniOS box, utter:
>
> 	netstat -an | grep 10926
>
> if it shows a result, then there is a process on your OmniOS box listening on that port.
>
> IF the netstat shows output, then find out which process has it open:
>
> 	sudo pfiles `ptree | awk '{print $1}'` | egrep '^[0-9]*:|10926'
>
> Most of the output will be:
>
> 478:    /usr/sbin/syslogd
> 481:    /usr/lib/ssh/sshd
>
> But you may see an extra line under a process with the matching port.  It'll look like this (I used port 22 for an example):
>
> 481:    /usr/lib/ssh/sshd
>          sockname: AF_INET6 ::  port: 22
>
> Hope this helps,
> Dan

Thanks Dan.

I was just about to report that there's nothing on this port and decided
to re-check the hub; it looks as though the dumb log only reports the
last port & address attempted, along with the total attempts count for
the day, so it's misleading. It isn't telling me much other than it's
pick on my IP day! (I wonder where they got my address from? Mmh.)

If it continues I'll have to let the traffic through to my firewall
instead and log it all, at least I'd get a better picture that way.

Thanks again.