[OmniOS-discuss] illumos Compatible Server Configurations

John D Groenveld jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu
Tue Jun 23 00:04:10 UTC 2015

In message <afbd6ce9173349f192a843c4dffbdd1b at Perses.usurf.usu.edu>, Josh Barton
 writes:
>I am looking for information on possible server configurations that will wo=
>rk with OmniOS. One server I have looked at is the: Power Edge R320 by Dell=
>, but they don't always provide all the information needed to determine if =
>illumos will run on it.

Tell Dell's salescritter you want the Intel NIC in place of the
stock Broadcom and the LSI SAS HBA in place of the stock H310
hardware RAID  controller.

I don't have part numbers but the LSI HBA's specsheet is
here:
<URL:http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-6gbps-sas-ita-spec-sheet.pdf>

The H310 will work, but you'll be buying extraneous silicon
and firmware that you'll be reflashing to IT mode.

If Dell's salecritter is clueless, tell him you want to talk to
a sales engineer who worked the Nexenta partnership.

Happy shopping,
John
groenveld at acm.org