[OmniOS-discuss] Highly Available ZFS

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Mon Jun 29 18:40:24 UTC 2015

For things that require that, we've just been going with dual-head
controller boxes.

One such example is Seagate (nee Xyratex) which has a dual head box and
then you can use something like pacemaker to fail over by force pool
import/export. You might need to combine this with something like tcpkill
to trigger linux NFS clients to failover soon-ish, but it works. previously
I've managed to get as low as 30 second failover under the right
circumstances. the SMB stuff just seems to work.

Another dual head thing includes stuff with dual attached SAS (e.g. old
school Sun J4400s), or echo-streams boxes with dual heads. Just about
anything with dual attached back end should work. You do have to force
import the zpool, so the setup and reliability of your back end
connectivity is rather important.