[OmniOS-discuss] How to check if you have enough NFS server threads?

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 21:59:27 UTC 2015

Chris Siebenmann wrote:
>  We're running into a situation with one of our NFS ZFS fileservers[*]
> where we're wondering if we have enough NFS server threads to handle
> our load. Per 'sharectl get nfs', we have 'servers=512' configured,
> but we're not sure we know how to check how many are actually in use
> and active at any given time and whether or not we're running into
> this limit.

If raising that limit then causes reports of:

WARNING: svc_cots_kdup no slots free
WARNING: svc_clts_kdup no slots free

together with the NFS clients getting EIO errors back, you may need to
increase the size of the duplicate check cache in the kernel rpcmod by
raising rpcmod:cotsmaxdupreqs and rpcmod:maxdupreqs (not sure that all
Illumos distros use same default values).

--
Andrew